Once upon a time there was the baronial palace of Casalbuono

– Open letter from Antonio Romanelli, descendant of the De Stefano family –

As in many Municipalities, also a Casalbuono existed the ruin of a baronial palace in which our history, our civilization and our culture were preserved.
Dating back to 1000/1100 (photo 1)represented the most important historical expression of the country, to be safeguarded, protected and jealously preserved.
Through the removal of materials, the recovery and restoration of the perimeter and divisional walls, fragments of flooring, wall designs, decorations, vaults, tuff floors, places of prayer, spiral staircases and much more, it would also have represented a sure tourist attraction . He would have recounted our origins, uses, customs, epochal changes and would have been the natural custodian of all the viaticum of a people.

Casalbuono politics has destroyed what remained of the old structure and, in its place, he built one entirely new building (photos 2 and 3)completely different from the original monument both in the interiors and exteriors and in both dimensions. In an attempt to hide the serious mistake committed, local politics has committed an even more serious one. Under the pretext of the inauguration of an imaginary “main hall”, he attempted to pass off the new building as a completely restored “baronial castle”.

In support of this thesis, the photo of the ruin and another of the new building have been published, but they have been deliberately concealed the photos of the original building (photos 4, 5 and 6) to avoid comparison with the new structure. In the new building, the interiors have been completely renovated and changed in size, location and finishes. New plasters cover the various rooms with terracotta floors.

There are no fragments of ancient flooring, there are no strips of drawings on the walls, there are no stuccos, tuff or other ancient material, there are no kitchens, bedrooms, places of worship, living rooms, prisons, in short, there are no it is absolutely a trace of the identity of the original baronial palace: as if it had never existed!
The external are an equally painful chapter. There is no need for any description: the photos speak for themselves!

Much altered compared to the original size, a new building was built without any historical value and with a modern architectural style, not even remotely
comparable to the original one.

At the aforementioned inauguration ceremony, probably unaware of the real events, some politicians invited to give strength, credibility and realism to the imaginary restoration of the “castle” which, among other things, from time immemorial is no longer a castle, but a building.
Among these, the presidents of two public bodies with competences in the Teggiano area and a regional councilor, a lawyer, who also deals with the cultural heritage code.
The latter comes from Teggiano, a town known and admired throughout Italy for its artistic manifestations and for the protection and care of its cultural and
environmental. To inaugurate a hall built on the destruction of a historic structure, ironically, more suitable politicians could not have been chosen. In an interview it was said that the castle, once a ruin, was given back to the citizens with great satisfaction.

It is as if in Pompeii, on the ruins of the domus of Romulus and Remus, he had built a new building and then ran on TV to brag about having restored and returned the house of Romulus and Remus to the Pompeians. But in Pompeii or elsewhere, with all those ruins they find, are they really sure they don’t need help?
It seems impossible that a cultural asset dating back to 1000/1100, which experienced the power of the abbots of Cadossa from around 1000 to 1300, which underwent the power of the priors of the Certosa di Padula until 1400, which saw the consolidation advent of the barons from 1500 onwards, which knew the lordship of the Sanseverinos, the Claps and the barons De Stefano from about 1650 onwards, has been destroyed with such carelessness and inexperience.

The art. 20 (interventions prohibited), paragraph 1, legislative decree 22 January 2004, n. 42, reads: “Cultural property cannot be destroyed, damaged or used for non- compatible with their historical or artistic character or such as to be detrimental to theirs storage”.

However, it also jeopardizes any indiscriminate use. Moreover, it is not known whether the verification of the existence of the historical interest was carried out by the Ministryit is not known whether the new work was authorized by the Ministry and it is not known which was the role of the superintendent Archaeological, Fine Arts and Landscape for the provinces of Salerno and Avellino.
The councilor’s interview is perfectly understandable: when will the satisfaction of having destroyed a priceless historical heritage of the citizens of Casalbuono ever happen again?

Once upon a time there was the baronial palace of Casalbuono – Open letter by Antonio Romanelli